Monday, August 31, 2015

Disney Princess Series

Okay guys, so although I write about books, now is the time for us to open our minds to all other fandoms. :)
So as many of you know and for those of you that don't, I really, really, really really really love the Disney fandom. The movies are great and as a musician the music is bomb and for really really lengthy reasons that I will not explain right now Walt Disney is pretty much my hero. And when people say that Disney is for kids I just think about how much I feel I love Disney more now that I'm a teenager rather than a young child. (Bro, I just had a birthday and my mom did this Disneyland party for me oh my gosh it was so cool.)
Well anyway, now I will tell you the stories of what so inspired this post. I kind of have a feminist spirit, like when I was in fourth grade we had to do a research paper on an inventor and the inventor I chose was the inventor of the windshield wiper who just so happened to be a woman. I was in Girl Scouts and all that good stuff. And so sometimes I have a problem with women being portrayed as weak if they make an effort to be pretty all the time or if they like to do traditional women jobs like cooking or sewing or if they don't have a paying job themselves and relying on a husband and stuff like that. Like, that bothers me. Is there something wrong with a woman being like that? You know, I think it's okay for women to have jobs but then I also think it's okay for them to not. If we're really about women's rights then we should be okay with women making choices like that. You know?
Okay, cool. But what does that have to do with the Disney princesses? Well, I'll tell a story as an example. Many of you also know that I am in color guard. My freshman year at band camp, we were working on a piece of flag work. And one of my favorite things even to this day to say about color guard is that we're like Disney princesses: we're strong and beautiful at the same time. Well I said that to the group I was working with and they were all like "That's so awesome" and whatnot. Right? And then one of my friends says, "Especially Mulan."
Okay, what?! Heck no! If y'all are thinking I don't like Mulan, you're wrong. I love Mulan; she's a great character and that's a great movie. But that is not the point I was trying to make.
Again, at this year's band camp, I said the same thing to a group of mostly new girls that I was leading in their flag work. They all loved that comparison too. And then another one of my friends said that we were all being like Mulan.
No. No. Did I say we were being like Mulan? No, I said we were being like the Disney princesses. Just because Mulan is the only Disney princess who fought in a war does not mean she is the only one who is strong and beautiful at the same time. That is my problem. I feel as if the Disney princesses are very misjudged. I have a problem with Mulan being the only one portrayed as strong. They are all strong, every single one of them.
So yeah, that's what inspired me to write this post-- or rather, this series of posts. Every post in this will feature one of the thirteen official Disney princesses in the Disney Princess franchise-- Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, Anna, and Elsa. I just feel a strong desire to write about why each of these princesses is super awesome and strong in their own way. Just because you aren't rough and hard and untouchable doesn't mean you are weak.
I'll get started soon! Love ya, mean it!
--Lizzo

No comments:

Post a Comment