Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dyslexia

In the Percy Jackson series, we learn a few things about dyslexia. In Percy's case, it makes it hard for him to read. He describes the words as swimming on the page, and the letters getting mixed up. In some cases it can affect other stuff too, like for some people it's just hard to read, for others it affects math and reading. Honestly, it must be seriously hard to be dyslexic. I remember one day when I was trying to read something that my eyes would not concentrate on the words. They just wouldn't focus. It was so hard to read, it was giving me a headache. Then I realized it was kind of like how dyslexia is described. If I had to go around like that full-time trying to read but the words wouldn't come together, I would go insane. I have some fandomeer friends who are dyslexic, they just listen to the audio versions of the books instead of read them. I talk to one friend about the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus books so much that I used to forget that he was dyslexic. So all I really wanted to say is to the dyslexic people out there: you're really awesome. Seriously, the fact that you find a way to read even though your mind doesn't want you to is amazing. As a friend of mine said once, the real heroes are people who make it through school with dyslexia. You guys are true heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment