Sunday, June 1, 2014

Beginnings and Endings

Well, guys, I have some pretty big news for you. I have been finished with Brave New World for a few weeks now. And yes, that does indeed mean that I am done with required reading for this school year!
 

Now that the summer is on its way I am hoping to get a little more serious about reading. I feel like I've been slacking lately. I've failed you, fandomeers. I'm sorry about that.
So Brave New World, may I just say, was pretty good and the ending is so eerie you could probably read it just to find out how it ends. Seriously well-written.
All this thinking about endings reminded me of a quote I read in the Inkworld trilogy by Cornelia Funke. I can't remember the book it was in, and I can't remember who said it, but it's still cool to think about. It was about the part that you don't get to hear of stories. How the story has a beginning and an ending, but the life of that character was going on before that, and the life of the character goes on after the story ends. And I'm not sure whether or not this was part of what was said in the book, but still, even if the character's life begins or ends at the beginning of the book, things were still happening. The side characters and the people they know have lives that were happening before the story and are still continuing after the story. Which I think is really awesome and should often be considered when writing something fictitious, and honestly, the best authors usually do think about what happens at least before the story, if not after.


No comments:

Post a Comment