Saturday, May 16, 2015

A Dog's Purpose

I have been trying to post this literally all day, and I only now can.
So I finished Princess Academy. I read the first book (Princess Academy) for the second time (and that book is still just so dang beautiful) and then for the first time read Palace of Stone (which was really unexpected-- check out the review for it and other books here ). I decided not to try to find The Forgotten Sisters because I feel like it was a pretty good assumption that Princess Academy is officially a never-ending series. But let it be known that Princess Academy is like a million years old, still going on not horrendously strong, but it probably should be because they are just absolutely beautiful books! Just so you're all aware.
Now I'm going to read A Dog's Purpose, by W. Bruce Cameron.... I'm almost ashamed to say this. W. Bruce Cameron is a quality writer, and I believe he is a really intelligent writer and really good. It's just that... ugh. When I was a kid-- okay, not even when I was a young child, I mean like as of almost two years ago even, it was more so when I was a young child but the same was true as of about two years ago-- I was really into animals. I was super interested in them and loved them and for a time I wanted to be an animal boarder or a veterinarian or a dog groomer and I loved learning about animals and being with animals and all that. But over the past few years I stopped loving animals. I don't hate animals, it's not like I don't like them, 'cause I don't mind them. I just don't love them. They just don't really matter to me a ton anymore. I've of late gotten really into what my choir director calls "the human element", the emotions and ideas of people. I'm a few hundred pages into the first book, A Dog's Purpose, and the human emotions in the book interest me a lot more than the animal emotions do. In the book, Cameron wrote it himself: "Humans are so much more complex than dogs, with such a broad range of feelings...." And that's why I love them.
When the second book in the series came out, A Dog's Journey, I thought that A Dog's Purpose was a never-ending series. I wonder now if I was wrong. I'm not sure, it honestly could go any way. Luckily I bought it about three years ago or so, so I feel obligated to read it because I've never read the second book before.
Cameron got the idea for this book when he was a kid and had a dog named Cammie. (By the way, shoutout to the writers who will write about their lives for the readers!) Cammie died before he went to college. Many years later he saw a dog that looked at him just the way his old dog Cammie used to. It made him wonder, is that really her? What if dogs are reborn?
A Dog's Purpose is about a little dog named Toby, who dies. But Toby is reborn again into another dog's body. He can remember everything about his past life, but he is starting a new one, and Toby starts to look for his purpose in life.
Cameron said, "I’ve been a writer my whole life, but never have I ever written anything as important as A Dog’s Purpose." Wish me luck!
(Should I be having you guys wish me luck? I'm only going to read a book. Gosh, I'm such a nerd.)

1 comment:

  1. I read A Dog's Purpose awhile back and let me just say....AMAZING BOOK!! The second book (A Dog's Journey) is equally as good as the first book.

    ReplyDelete