Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Capitol and Us

(Spoilers for Hunger Games)
Don't hate me for what I'm about to say.
So everyone thinks the Capitol is disgusting. Right? Because it is. The fact that they are living luxuriously while the other citizens are barely surviving and watching those lesser citizens fight to the death without a thought is horrendous. Then they do stuff like wearing obnoxious clothes and doing crazy stuff to their bodies. But one day I thought, "You know, we are not too far away from the Capitol. Not at all."
Let's start with the fandom itself. Most people didn't like Mockingjay as much as the other books. Let me just say that there were no Games in that book. And one day someone I know came clean and said it: "Face it, the Games are pretty much the best part. The other parts of the book are great. But we have to admit, we do actually like reading about the Games. The Games, not just the world around the Games.
Now you may be saying "It's my fandom it doesn't count." I'll give you that. Fandoms are a big deal. But we are crazy about that sort of thing in our own lives too. Reality T.V. It's pretty much the same thing. Sure, there is no fighting to the death on our T.V. But still, we are watching these people do their thing, and just like the Games, oftentimes people are eliminated, and we're sad when our favorites go, and we're rooting for our favorite to win. And then if someone's crying or something emotional is happening, you know the cameras will be right there. Just like in the Games. And I have one word: hockey. I went to one game in my life and, with all the fights and people cheering for them to happen, I actually said it was like a Hunger Games on ice. To which point my friend sitting next to me asked me why I always brought everything back to Hunger Games. But whatever.
Then we can all admit, there are some pretty weird styles out there, just like the Capitol with all the weird stuff they like to do. We all may be thinking of different trends right now. But no matter what, we still can all admit that there are weird trends that we would never do.
I don't know. I just thought one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment