Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Adventures in the CLAM: I'm a Famous Singer (November 11, 2019-November 17, 2019)

 


Hello one and all! Or as we say in Korean, annyeonghaseyo!
LA LOVE:
I went to the Olympic ward this week (they meet in another chapel in the back of our church building and they are seriously SO sweet. We weren't able to speak to each other very well--I know six words of Korean as of right now--but they were so loving and welcoming to me. We met with Bishop Kim after church and we really talked about coordinating the missionary efforts in the ward. We are so excited to be covering  both of these wards.
EVENTS OF THE WEEK:
We took Sister Birch's first trip to El Pollo Loco and then went to Ulta. It had free parking and was on an open second floor--there is not much I love more than rooftops. It was a super big Ulta too and it had SO MANY COLOURPOP THINGS. To top it all off, I got a free bag of makeup! Turns out I still got it when it comes to getting free and discounted makeup. Definitely one of the best p-days of my mission topped only by opening my mission call.
We had a crazy transfer day teaching lessons and getting everything organized in our new area! OUr roommates are LA 6th 2, Sister Wall and Sister Weenig! They are amazing and already great friends of ours. We also had a meeting that night with our new elders in Wilshire 3 to help them get settled in the area and tell them about the boundaries and their friends. We have Elder Sands and Elder Isaak, as well as (to our surprise) Elder Farr, who is waiting on a visa for Australia! They are so awesome and we are so happy to be working with them. We have seven awesome young proselyting missionaries in the Wilshire ward.
We had a great zone conference this week, with a special guest, Elder Klebingat of the Seventy! We learned a lot from him about how to have an even more consecrated and obedient service. A big takeaway for me was how much God loves me, and that He is my Father, and He sent me to earth specifically to gather His other children--to serve a mission was a decision I made long before I was even born. Now I have to follow through on that promise the best I can.
I got to teach an English class we host in the Olympic ward. I LOVED it. You all know there's not much I love more than language, so it was amazing to just get to teach about the way letters sound.
We had a great first district council of the transfer! We are in a new district this transfer but I already love them all. They are great friends of mine and we had the opportunity to teach each other and talk about Preach My Gospel.
We had a wonderful Friendsgiving activity in the Wilshire ward! We had a lot of friends there and our friends, the ward, and all the missionaries had a great time together.
I had the privilege of singing a musical number in the Olympic ward, "Be Still, My Soul". The ward was so sweet to me about it and I think it was a great way for them to get to know me a little better.
And we had another song practice for the musical number at the sisters' brunch--which we will talk about more when it actually happens, I promise.
FRIENDS:
We taught Isaac about prophets and Jesus Christ's earthly ministry. He is really receptive to the message of the gospel, and understands how we know about that message--through prophets!
We delivered a Bible to someone we met through our Bible finding activity, Joshua! He said he's always looking for ways to receive the word of God, because God got him through a lot in his life.
We met with Gustavo and Rossanna, and broke the news to them that the elders would be teaching them. We asked them what the gospel meant to each of them, and encouraged them to share their testimonies with others and to stay strong in the gospel. I love them so much and will miss teaching them, but I'm glad to still be in their ward.
We taught Rhona about the importance of prayer and scripture study. She loves the scriptures and how they bring her peace and comfort, and teach her more about how followers of Jesus Christ lived when He was on the earth.
We taught Abulla (with the help of the amazing Brother Hutchins) about the priesthood. He feels very confident about bearing it now. Since he's been baptized, he feels like a new person. I am excited for him to bear the preisthood.
We taught Ayanna about the gospel of Jesus Christ. She is so smart! She has a great faith and understanding of what the gospel's all about. The elders got to come at the end of her lesson (yeah... that was crazy) and meet her, because they will be her missionaries now. I love her so much and will miss her.
Destiny learned about the Word of Wisdom this week. I had the wonderful opportunity to share my testimony about the importance of taking care of our bodies due to the health issues I've had in the past--and especially about how it's never too late to change and turn to a better way.
More than ever I am realizing that Jesus Christ, His atoning power and sacrifice, and repentance are the greatest gifts of all. I am filled with gratitude, my friends.
Thanks and much love!
--Sister Day

No comments:

Post a Comment