Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Adventures in the CLAM: We're Famous Now (October 7, 2019-October 13, 2019)

 


Hello one and all!
LA LOVE:
The CLAM newsletter recently got reorganized so that it's written and edited by a committee of young missionaries. A friend of mine, Elder Mathewson, is in charge of the finding ideas in the newsletter. One time when Sister White and I were telling him about our finding ideas, he asked us to write a paragraph about it so he could put it in the newsletter! It got printed last week! My first big publication. Here's to many more. :,)
I had my first door-knocking experience this week. The plans we had set up fell through so it was the best thing we could do. Sister Birch actually knocked on the first door because my whole mission I had been told "we don't do tracting" so I was TERRIFIED. I am so impressed by her! So once she did it I felt more brave haha. Weactually had some people that would be interested in us coming back so that was awesome!
EVENTS OF THE WEEK:
On p-day we went to this super fancy ice cream place called The Dolly Llama. It was super fun and aesthetic and romantic and good and just a fun way for us to spend some time as a new companionship. It was so cute.
Zone conference was this week! It was my first time at a zone conference not in the San Fernando valley so that was interesting. All of my companions except for Sister White were there though so it was fun to be with Sister Sanerive and Sister Along too! We learned a lot about how to work with members in our ward, whether it be with part-member families or helping ward members strengthen and fellowship the friends we teach. President also taught us a lot about making lesson plans for our friends, how to be a good missionary and disciple of Jesus Christ, and about observing the Sabbath day. Because he is a general authority, he said over the years he's had a few opportunities to sit in on meetings with the apostles. He said for years the apostles have been worried about our Sabbath day observance as a main issue in the Church. I really learned a lot and am excited to better acknowledge the Lord's day when I get home. I encourage you all to consider how to better consecrate your Sundays to God. As you do and act on the thoughts that come to your mind, you will be strengthened in your day-to-day life and feel the peace that comes to those that observe the Sabbath!
District council this week. I am happy to be in a district of such great missionaries that are already wonderful friends to me. Sister Birch and I led a discussion in thsi council about how the first chapter of Preach My Gospel (My Purpose) can help us involve our ward members in missionary work. It was awesome!
There was a baptism in the other area of the ward! Emily is happily baptized and confirmed into the Wilshire ward. Abulla got to come and see what it was like before he is baptized in a few weeks!
Okay, this one is definitely worth writing about as an event. Our ward mission leader, Brother Caphart, took us plus Sister Child and Sister Zegarra to dinner at the restaurant Brother Christofferson owns (one of our ward missionaries). The ward missionaries kept hyping it up as the best Mexican restaurant in LA. Let me tell you, they weren't just saying that. The restaurant is called El Coyote, there's a ton of history behind it, and it was recently featured in a movie that came out a few months ago. The place was hopping people pulling up in fancy clothes, and the food was seriously so good. The whole night I felt so famous. I had my first experience with valet parking (I know, like, am I rich or something?). Brother Chriistofferson led us personally to the most famous booth in the restaurant. He kept ordering us so many appetizers and desserts and the best of everything the restaurant had. We had a good night with him and Sister Christofferson and Brother Caphart. They really made us feel super loved. It was a highlight of the week.
FRIENDS:
I went on exchanges with Sister Zegarra so she could introduce me to our friend John! We talked about prayer with him and he said he can see things more clearly when making decisions when he prays.
We met the Hutchins family, a family in our ward! Brother Hutchins is the recently-called elders quorum president and Sister Hutchins is a counselor for the young women. They are super cool. Sister Hutchins was actually a CLAM missionary herself, and Wilshire was her last area! That was super crazy to me but then I remembered I am planning on moving to SoCal later in life so that could very well happen to me too HAHA.
We met with Destiny and taught her about prophets, which was super cool because she loves general conference talks. We also taught her about the gospel of Jesus Christ. She really wants to get baptized, so we are making plans to help her get there. She is so sweet and we love her. She has admirable faith.
We met William W., who requested a copy of the Book of Mormon! he has a lot of questions and si looking for answers there. He thinks hte Book of Mormon is really underrated in Christianity, and that when you put the two books together (the Bible and the Book of Mormon) you get the whole story. William W., I agree! He already believes those books were sent from God, so we're excited to teach him the rest!
I went on exchanges with Sister Zegarra in her area (Sister Birch and Sister Child were in our area) to meet their friend Adelson! We went over the baptismal interview questions because he is getting baptized in the coming week. We had great discussions and he is so ready to be baptized!
We had a great lesson with Abulla. He is taking a Book of Mormon class so he is super intelligent and really understands the scriptures. When we talked about 3 Nephi 11, he perfectly described how we are baptized, and said it had to be by authority, not just anyone! We taught him about the Word of Wisdom. Abulla voiced some concerns he had, but said he would give it a try. We told him of all the blessings that come from keeping this law, and that we knew he could do it even though it would be hard. When we said that, he said, "It won't be so hard." I am inspired by his courage and faith. We told him to study Doctrine and Covenants 89 to better understand, and when we saw him at church he said he saw that by keeping this law we receive wisdom from God. I hope to be as faithful as Abulla in keeping the commandments of God.
We met William N., who has a deep interest in history and scripture. He loves studying with missionaries, so we're happy to help!
We met Sister Kimberly! She is seriously so sweet and we love her! She has something big coming up in her life, something Sister Birch has gone through before, so we shared Sister Birch's favorite Book of Mormon verse with her, Ether 12:27. Sister Kimberly was really comforted knowing that God will make her strong in her trials.
We met with Brother Case and Sister Case! They are so sweet and told us a lot about what we can do to help in the ward. For weeks I've been worrying about the youth and wanting to help them and teach them. The Case family gave us many names and assignments of how to help the youth in the ward, that being their top priority right now. I'd call that a miracle.
I am so grateful to be serving here at this time. It has been an adventure for sure, but I have felt so much love and joy here already, and as they sat in Dear Evan Hansen, "We're getting better every day."
Thanks and much love!
--Sister Day

No comments:

Post a Comment