Thursday, November 26, 2020

I Should Be Glad 2020

 Hi everyone!
Since this is a normal non-serial post today, I guess I should take the normal route and start by way of a life update, but I don't really know if there is much to say. I think you all know I'm currently attending Southern Utah University. I'm majoring in English education with a double minor in theatre and film. I recently got a job at the school as an audio-visual tech for school events. I love learning and working at my school. It is truly the perfect thing for me to be studying and the perfect job for me to be working. I have loved it all. Cedar City and I have developed a much better relationship and I am really enjoying living there. I have really good friends, especially my roommates. I love them all. It's Thanksgiving break for me, which marks the end of in-person school for the rest of the semester and online classes only for the final month we have in school. It has been so amazing that our school has been able to stay open the entire time we were planning. It has been an awesome opportunity for me. Here's your friendly reminder to take the corona virus pandemic seriously and that if we all follow the safety precautions set in front of us, our future is bright!



The title for this post is inspired by the poem "I should be glad of loneliness" by Sara Teasdale. The idea is that we can have gratitude in any circumstance. I've wanted to do this post for quite awhile. I know this has been an interesting year for everybody. There have been some pretty unique struggles. But there has also been so much good, and there always will be. I think most of you know that the prophet and president of my church recently released a video about the healing power of gratitude. It's amazing and absolutely what we all need right now. I wanted to write a post just about that--about all the good that has happened this year. But I don't want it to be a special 2020 thing, because it's not. 2020 is not special in that way. Every year has so many good things about it. I wanted to make this a Thanksgiving tradition. There is so much we can highlight about every year!
I was a missionary for so much of this year, so I will admit that I don't know much about what happened in the normal world. But I am still going to try my best to highlight all the great things that happened this year.
1. I've seen people open their hearts more this year. While there have been a ton of challenges, it has helped people come closer together, be kinder, and make friends and support others. People have grown to appreciate the people in their lives more. I've seen people get closer to God at this time. The change in lifestyle has also changed our perspectives, it seems.
2. High-waisted pants have remained a trend this year.
3. Dresses in pockets are becoming normalized.
4. People have been given opportunities to be creative. Since we're in a pandemic and not able to do everything the way we would normally do things, just about everyone I know has been given an opportunity to be creative or develop a new talent. For example, my little brother started making TikTok videos, and my older brother started streaming Pokemon. I know that schools all over the world have had to adjust the way students learn and it's been a great success. The entertainment industries have changed the way they do things. I know the missionaries have entirely changed the way they do their work and it has been entirely better for them. A lot of people have discovered new things that they love and are good at.
5. The children of the world are so strong and resilient. They are a great example to us adults in how to face challenges.
6. The Jonas Brothers are still making music. To make this even better, there WILL be a seventh album.
7. A COVID-19 vaccine, within just about a year of the pandemic, is already being prepared to be distributed to first responders and those most vulnerable. Famous music composer Andrew Lloyd Webber was one of the people who tested the vaccine earlier in the year.
8. Dolly Parton helped fund the COVID-19 vaccine, and not only that, but she's releasing a Christmas album this year.
9. For those of you that have missionaries out, they've been able to call home once a week for nearly two years! I sure know that was a blessing for me and my family when I was a missionary, and that was true for many others as well.
10. I don't think I've ever seen a year where people are this aware of racism and trying to put a stop to it. us as a world are getting better at loving each other.
11. To celebrate two centuries of Jesus Christ's full gospel on the earth, the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released "The Restoration of the Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: A Bicentennial Proclamation to the World". It's an awesome document about God's truth and His love for us.
12. Food delivery is THRIVING and readily available.
13. Can we talk about technology?!
 Due to the internet and easy access to inexpensive phone calls, even while it's not as easy to see people in person, we are still able to connect with the people that are close to us. Special shoutout to websites and social media platforms that are providing COVID-19 updates at the click of a button.
14. The new Animal Crossing game has been a great destresser for people this year.
15. I have seen so much literature representation of women of different races this year. I'm all about diversity in girl power!
16. Among Us.
17. TikTok produced a plethora of gems this year
, such as "Red's Kinda Sus" and the Ratatouille musical.
18. Colourpop has more Disney collabs going on than I think any of us ever thought would happen.
19. We received a new Phineas and Ferb movie this year.
20. In fact, word on the street is (although I obviously haven't been able to partake in it much) television is the best it's been in a long time.
21. The US election memes were next level.
22. People have been forced to slow down.
I know I of myself am really guilty of zooming my way through life and letting things that are actually important slip away. This year just about everything in life has slowed to a stop, and I think it's taught us to calm down and let ourselves feel peace and spend time with our families and what we have.
23. The Chosen, the first multi-series television program about Jesus Christ, is being made and it is FANTASTIC.
24. The arts are still being celebrated! The Actors Fund is helping performers now more than ever, and awards shows like the Grammys and the Tonys are still happening.
25. Companies are showing so much compassion.
Fees are being waived. Things like grocery pickups are free, and stores are doing senior hours for those most vulnerable so they can shop without crowds. Time limits on Zoom were cut on Thanksgiving Day so people could still be with their families over long distance. Some jobs are giving paid COVID leave.
Thank you all for being a part of my amazing year. I know it has been hard on everyone, but I have to say that it has still been a great year. I'm looking forward to what the rest of 2020 holds, and I'm glad to say it's not all bad.
Thanks and much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment